[SOLVED]Zerynth WiFi problem on Adafruit ESP32

Hi,

I was doing some testing on your Zerynth IDE and I noticed that my WiFi won’t get activated in it. I have Arduino IDE opened side by side, and I have no problem with getting my WiFi to work there. After much hair pulling, I managed to get Zerynth IDE to post some error messages. Try running the following code on Adafruit (preferably) ESP32:
Python code - Gist

And the errors that I am getting are (in bold at the bottom):
ets Jun 8 2016 00:22:57
rst:0x1 (POWERON_RESET),boot:0x13 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
flash read err, 1000
ets_main.c 371
ets Jun 8 2016 00:22:57
rst:0x10 (RTCWDT_RTC_RESET),boot:0x13 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
configsip: 0, SPIWP:0xee
clk_drv:0x00,q_drv:0x00,d_drv:0x00,cs0_drv:0x00,hd_drv:0x00,wp_drv:0x00
mode:DIO, clock div:2
load:0x3fff0018,len:4
load:0x3fff001c,len:3064
load:0x40078000,len:0
ho 12 tail 0 room 4
load:0x40078000,len:11504
entry 0x40078d64
r2.1.1 LTxVPE7wSjO9EkPhgD3vcg adafruit_huzzah32 03ea4a42fa46 ZERYNTH
E (13567) wifi: misc_nvs_load 208 ret=4364
E (13568) wifi: wifi_init 1408 ret=4364

I really hope you could help me sort this out. I like your platform and its integration with various Cloud providers.

P.S: Also, on the side: How can I uninstall Zerynth from Debian Linux (Ubuntu)? I want to reinstall it to see if this will fix the issue. I can’t find its name anywhere in my file system.

Hi tmladenov,

switching between different programming environments may lead to flash sectors corruptions.
Now in our latest patch (r2.1.1-p01) for ESP8266 and ESP32 based devices, you can perform a complete erasing of the internal flash memory of the microcontroller.

You have to click the info button and click the “Erase Flash” button - see in picture:

Once erasing procedure is done, you can virtualize and uplink again your ESP32 device.

PS: if you want to install again Zerynth, when you run Zerynth Studio, in the first window that appears where you can select the version of the Zerynth Studio to be started, you can click on the “Reinstall” button and choose the version of the Zerynth Studio you want to reinstall.

Let me know if this can help you :slight_smile:

Hi Matteo,

The Erase Flash fixed the issue.

Now when you said it, I remembered. Yesterday I erased the flash memory in Zerynth IDE, programmed something to the flash and then went to Arduino IDE to make a comparison with the code there. So when I got back to compile again in Zerynth I should have erased the flash again, but probably forgot. Simple Register / Link to VM did not work. A complete re-run of the process Erasing Flash -> Register -> Add to VM is needed. SIlly me.

Thanks for your help!

P.S: Further info is over ESP32’s Github, where it is said that esptool --port COM3 erase_flash fixes the problem, too.

Hi tmladenov,

Glad to hear that! :slight_smile:

PS: Zerynth Studio also uses the esptool to interacting with the ESP8266 and ESP32 devices so taping the esptool command line or clicking the Erase Button of the Zerynth Studio is the same thing :wink:

Hi Matteo,

I have installed(or updated to) r2.1.1 using online installation option. That was the version auto installed when I selected Reinstall - online from the application start-up window. Could not figure out how to install p01 that is r2.1.1-p01.

I don’t see Flash erase button in Device info window - Do I need to install r2.1.1-p01 specifically to get Flash erase button?

Thank you
Adarsh

Hi @Adu,

latest available version is r2.1.2, aren’t you able to install it?

Hi Lorenzo,

Thank you for your reply!
Yes, I could install r2.1.2 and ‘Erase Flash’ button is available now.

Thanks again.