How to add a new board

I would like to use Zerynth to program my STM32F303K8 board, which is a (32 bit) drop in replacement for the Arduino Nano. It has a cortex-m4 cpu, 64k flash, 12k ram. My problem is I don’t know what board to base it on. I tried the STM32F401RE board, but when I tried to register it I got an error message saying it couldn’t read the chip id. Could anyone please advise if I can add this board, and if so what board I can base it on? Or if there is anything else I need to do? (like update libraries or install new libraries?)
Thanks,
Ian

hi @mogplus8
unfortunately, the board is not officially supported yet by Zerynth and using an unsupported board might result in unexpected behavior since you’ll be using a Virtual Machine made specifically for a different device (different Memory architecture, peripherals, features…).
Currently, you can develop a custom VM (Zerynth firmware) on ESP32 based-boards only.

Thanks @karimhamdy1. I know that was the case two years ago (that only boards based on ESP3266 could can have a VM built, as per my post here How hard is it to add a new board?) but I was hoping the technology might have marched on a bit since then. I thought it had because when I tried to add a new board I was offered a selection of (what appeared to be) all the boards Zerynth currently supports. Maybe I was using the wrong function? To do it I switched to Advanced Mode in the device selection dropdown, then selected Add/Modify Devices. Then Add New, and a list of devices to base the new device is displayed.
It has worked once for me. I have a (very old) STM32F407VG Discovery board. When I plug it in Zerynth doesn’t detect it and I can’t virtualize it. However if I create a new board based on the BRD STM32F407 Device already defined in the list, the new device is detected (only in the advanced menu, not the automatic menu, in the device dropdown) and I can program it.
So I was hoping I could create a VM for my ST board based on something similar, but apparently there is nothing (currently) similar enough. I couldn’t create a VM for my Blue Pill board either. The only STM32F1 base board in the list was the Particle Core. Tried that but again no luck. So I guess I’ll have to wait for those VMs to become available.
Doesn’t really matter, I’m only experimenting. I have a couple of other boards I can program with Zerynth, so development is proceeding!
Thanks,
Ian