Help to install on linux

Hello,
my name is Walter and I live in Belluno, Italy.

I’m newbie in Viper and linux, I downloaded the package for Linux 64 but I do not know how to install. Is there a tutorial? or someone tells me how can I do?
Thank you!

Hello Walter,

The package is a tar.xz archive. You should be able to open and extract it with most of the Linux distributions without installing any new program. If you tell us what’s your Linux distro, I can point you to more detailed instructions.

Once extracted, you can double click on the viper.sh script to run the Viper IDE. 

Thank you!
My distro is ubuntu 15.10.
I extracted the files tar.xz and I created the folder Viper.
I found the file viper.sh.
With double click I open gedit text editor, I can not start the IDE.
Thank you very much, it is the first time I use linux because viper 32bit for windows is not available.

ooops, Ubuntu is configured not to run shell scripts as a default action.
Follow the instructions here to override such behaviour.

I guess I will add a .desktop file in the next update to avoid this issue.

ok, thank’s!
I begin now to use Linux, if you believe that another distro is best for viper, I can install the distro that you indicate me without problems

Don’t worry, Ubuntu is ok :slight_smile:

The next step is to let Ubuntu recognize your boards. Linux distributions have a program called “udev” that is in charge of recognizing hardware events and do something after them, like for example installing/uninstalling your pen drive when it is plugged/unplugged. 

The same must be done for your boards. The procedure is easy:

• Open a terminal
  • Open a new udev rule file by typing in the terminal: sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/99-viper.rules
  • Type the rules in gedit (see below)
  • Save and close gedit
  • tell udev to reload the rules by typing in the terminal: sudo udevadm control --reload-rules
Every command with “sudo” will ask for root password.

And here are the Viper rules for all the boards:

#ST Nucleo
SUBSYSTEMS==“usb”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“0483”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“3748”, MODE=“0666”, GROUP="users"
SUBSYSTEMS==“tty”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“0483”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“3748”, MODE=“0666”, GROUP=“users”
#Particle Core
SUBSYSTEMS==“usb”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“1d50”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“607f”, MODE=“0666”, GROUP=“users”, ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
SUBSYSTEMS==“tty”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“1d50”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“607f”, MODE=“0666”, GROUP=“users”, ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
SUBSYSTEMS==“usb”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“1d50”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“607d”, MODE=“0666”, GROUP=“users”, ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
SUBSYSTEMS==“tty”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“1d50”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“607d”, MODE=“0666”, GROUP=“users”, ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}=“1”
#Particle Photon
SUBSYSTEMS==“usb”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“2b04”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“d006”, MODE=“0666”, GROUP=“users”, ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
SUBSYSTEMS==“tty”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“2b04”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“d006”, MODE=“0666”, GROUP=“users”, ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
SUBSYSTEMS==“usb”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“2b04”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“c006”, MODE=“0666”, GROUP=“users”, ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
SUBSYSTEMS==“tty”, ATTRS{idVendor}==“2b04”, ATTRS{idProduct}==“c006”, MODE=“0666”, GROUP=“users”, ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}=“1”
<div><br>Udoo and Arduino Due are recognized automatically because they use an ftdi chip.</div>

hi,
I did as you told me,
1) when you tell udev to reload the rules, will not ask for root password. Is ok?

2) if I double click viper.sh, start a browser windows Viper IDE and tells me:
“The SERVER is not responding !! Please restart the IDE”

3) when I plug stnucleo opens a windows NODE F401RE

I tried to download a second time the ide, but nothing has changed,

thank’s a lot!

mmm…

1) ok

2) very bad: I’ll check on an ubuntu installation and let you know

3) ok, it should be the ubuntu automount

OK thanks!
these days I have tried many times:
when you double click on viper.sh, the browser (firefox) opens and tries to connect to “http://127.0.0.1:5566/ide/index.html” and tells me:
“The SERVER is not responding !! Please restart the IDE”

Here I am @Walter…with bad and good news.

I tested Viper on a fresh ubuntu install (in a virtual machine) and was able to reproduce your problem. 
Here is the so@Walter 

• open a terminal
  • type: “sudo apt-get install git” 
  • once finished type: "sudo apt-get install gcc-multilib"
  • once finished change your current directory to the Viper directory (the one with viper.sh inside). In my case it was in Desktop/Viper so I typed: "cd ~/Desktop/Viper"
  • change directory to the Viper git directory: "cd sys/linux64/git"
  • remove git: "rm git"
  • substitute with installed one: "ln -s /usr/bin/git git"
  • start viper
The problem is twofold: the git executable shipped with Viper needs some libraries not present in Ubuntu by default; also, the gcc compiler for arm microcontroller is 32bit only, therefore gcc-multilib is needed.

Let me know!

Hi!
bad news,
I followed your precise information for 2 times, no errors found,
but viper always tells me “The SERVER is not responding.”
My installation is new and updated, I installed only viper waiting viper 32bit for windows …
Maybe
Ubuntu is not my  distro … any suggestions for another distro more compatible with viper?
thanks and sorry

no one can tell me which distro runs smoothly with viper?

Hello @Walter,

please, try to download again the linux installer, I should have fixed the problems in Ubuntu.

Let me know!

ok it works! thank you!
to launch it, I open the terminal and I type “./viper.sh”
(the procedure which you said does not work … the git directory no longer exists in the new release)
The ide start, but when I try to viperize, tells me:
“Error while viperizing viperizing Error: error: [Errno 28] No space left on device”
Thanks again!

Nice!

For the viperization error, are you using a ST Nucleo f401?

Yes!
F401RE,
ide recognizes it as Physical Board

mmm…that Nucleo message stinks of old firmware.

Can you try to update the Nucleo firmware as described here?
You could do it easily from windows.

Let me know!

Hello,
I upgraded the firmware today, unfortunately, the error message is still the same

Mmm… I can’t reproduce the issue on my ubuntu virtual machine…

however, try this to viperize manually:

• plug the st nucleo and select it as current board
  • click on the viperize button
  • in the dialog that opens, click the orange button "Get Binary"
  • depending on your browser two things can happen: a file with a strange name is downloaded or a page with strange symbols is opened.
  • In the first case, rename the downloaded file to "nucleo.bin"
  • In the second case, right click on the page and choose “Save Page As”, save the file somewhere naming it "nucleo.bin"
  • copy nucleo.bin to the nucleo volume appearing on the “Files” windows (see screenshot below)
  • The nucleo LD1 led should blink red and green for a couple of seconds, then the LD2 will blink just green for two seconds. That’s the sign of correct viperization.

bad news,
when I try to copy the file nucleo.bin, he tells me that the device has no space.
I’ve updated all the drivers with Vista, when I try to copy nucleo.bin tells me the same error.
I try the manufacturer’s website to find a solution.
Anyway … Merry Christmas to all the community and thanks again!
Walter