Early Beta

Hello Vipers!

I'm very happy to announce that the early Beta of Viper is ready for all of you to download!

Just get the package for your platform (linux or windows, and mac), unzip it in a folder and start the Viper IDE.

This early Beta is very minimal and there is support for Arduino Due only. However three different virtual machines are provided: 
  • standard: just Python and the microcontroller peripherals
  • debug: like the standard one, but a ton of debug messages is printed in the Arduino serial (at TX0, RX0)
  • wifi: it's the standard one with the drivers for CC3000 and Neopixel ledstrips included. To use wifi, you need a CC3000 shield or breakout for your Arduino.
Please note that the early Beta is very essential, surely buggy and its only purpose is to give you a taste of Viper. In June, the first official Viper release will have all the features promised, a restyled IDE and a lot more of surprises.

Cya soon!

Too bad about the mac limitation  :frowning:  Would love to have tried it.

Hi Mcgower,
We are working on it  :slight_smile:
I’ll keep you posted

Trying to upload the Virtual Machine to Arduino Due was giving always error.
Finally I found that the VM was loaded and I didn’t realized it.
BTW what VM version of the three choices should we use?

That’s strange. please post here the error you receive in the console.
Are you using Windows or Linux?

For the VM version I suggest the standard version for basic tests and examples or the wifi version if you want to use a CC300 shield or breakout or the Neopixel LEDs.
D.

Hi,

I will be starting my VIPER experience today. I bought a DUE so that i have a good baseline. Most of my devices are Uno based, so I presume there is no point in trying those in the next month or so.  I am using a windows based development/build machine-environment. I will be using both Windows 8.1 and 10 Preview.

My question: Is my UDOO DUE compatible unit worth trying with VIPER beta? Any known workarounds or special issues to get that variation working at the current beta level?

Thanks in advance,
R

piertoni said:
Trying to upload the Virtual Machine to Arduino Due was giving always error.
Finally I found that the VM was loaded and I didn't realized it.
BTW what VM version of the three choices should we use?
Mmm...that's strange. If you could provide us with the error log we could resolve the issue. To get a more complete log than that displayed in the IDE, launch the IDE from a terminal and copy-paste the flood of strings from it :smile: 

rabidwarthawg said:
Hi,

I will be starting my VIPER experience today. I bought a DUE so that i have a good baseline. Most of my devices are Uno based, so I presume there is no point in trying those in the next month or so.  I am using a windows based development/build machine-environment. I will be using both Windows 8.1 and 10 Preview.

My question: Is my UDOO DUE compatible unit worth trying with VIPER beta? Any known workarounds or special issues to get that variation working at the current beta level?

Thanks in advance,
R
Welcome aboard!

Regarding the UDOO, it can be used with VIPER in two ways:
  • The officially supported one: download the VIPER package for Udoo boards, install it in a udoobuntu distro with python3 installed, fire the IDE, and go on as usual. I'll try to put online the VIPER beta for Udoo in the weekend. However, there is a warning: VIPER is quite slow when running on a Udoo, probably the fastest way to use it, is to ignore the IDE and run commands directly from the terminal. It is not that difficult and there are detailed instructions in the Udoo distro.
  • The unsupported one: using the VIPER IDE on your pc connected to the arduino part of Udoo. Follow the instructions here: http://www.elinux.org/UDOO_programming_the_embedded_Arduino_microcontroller  (ignoring the arduino ide patch) and viperize the Udoo. Arduino Due on the Udoo differs from a normal Arduino in the fact that, when you open the serial port, it doesn't reset itself. So it must be reset manually by fiddling with the J16 jumper. So before uploading bytecode to the viperized Udoo, a manual reset is needed.
Sadly, we didn't find a simpler way to operate the Arduino Due on the Udoo. However, we've already spoken with the Udoo guys about VIPER support for their awesome Neo and we hope to provide a better interaction.

Cya!
mcowger said:
Too bad about the mac limitation  :(  Would love to have tried it.
And the mac version is out! Please notify us of any bug you may find.

Awesome - will give it a shot!