AWS Shadow method of sending receiving

Hi,

How exactly does the AWS Shadow service work regarding the “controlled publish period” example? Let me describe an example device with only one button:

I can switch on the button, I suppose the thing shadow button_state in the “reported” part should be changed to “on”, like:

{
“desired”: {
“button_state”: 0
},
“reported”: {
“button_state”: 1
}
}

But the problem is, I get a shadow_callback via this function: thing.on_shadow_request(shadow_callback) where the button state 0 is requested again… what is the correct behaviour here?

Hi @Marcel,

in your case the shadow callback should look like this:

def shadow_callback(requested):
    print('requested button state:', requested['button_state'])
    button_state = requested['button_state']
    return {'publish_period': button_state}

From AWS IoT you should edit the “desired” section with the state you want to be sent to the device.
When the device returns from the callback it sends back a shadow update which edits the “reported” section.

Hi LorenzoR,

But what if the desired state is: “OF” and I sent this to the shadow (reported):
thing.mqtt.publish(“dev/sample”, json.dumps({ ‘button_state’: “ON” }))

Then the shadow_callback is fired and the desired state “OFF” is pushed to the device again.

Or should I remove the “desired” part of the shadow? I hope you understand my question :slight_smile:

Hi @Marcel,

the state pushed to the device is controlled by the “desired” section manually.
When you send back a state from the device it only updates the “reported” section without affecting what is going to be sent next to the device.

Hope I got it right :slight_smile:

“When you send back a state from the device it only updates the “reported” section without affecting what is going to be sent next to the device.”

I see that the “reported” section is updated, but the shadow_callback is also fired after this? It looks like someone is trying to sent the “desired” section.

I appreciate your support!

To clarify in more detail, when I publish a message via the AWS test console in:

$aws/things/button_test/shadow/update
{
“state”: {
“reported”: {
“button_state”: 1,
}
}
}

The shadow is updated and I don’t receive an answer. Fine for now.

But if I publish a message via Zerynth like this:
thing.mqtt.publish("$aws/things/button_test/shadow/update", json.dumps({"state": {"reported": {'button_state': ON, }}}))

The shadow_callback is fired like someone asked for a desired value and this will change the local button state again back to OFF. This way it’s impossible to set the button_state to ON.

So in general my question is, how can I control the button_state via the AWS cloud and how can I inform the Cloud about a locally changed button state

Hi @Marcel,

to update your device shadow remotely go to “Manage->Things” click on the AWS thing associated to your device, then “Shadow”: Edit the Shadow’s JSON adding chosen “desired” section and click “Save”.

This action triggers the device’s callback, at the end of which, just by returning a dictionary you are allowed to update the “reported” section.

This is the correct flow for updating the state as a response to a remote request.

On the other hand, if you want to update the shadow without an external trigger you can use the udpate_shadow method which takes a dictionary like the one used as a return value in the shadow callback (without the need to specify state and reported keys).

Ok, I understand the first part, but the issue I have is with this:

On the other hand, if you want to update the shadow without an external trigger you can use the udpate_shadow method which takes a dictionary like the one used as a return value in the shadow callback (without the need to specify state and reported keys).

You problaby refer to:

thing.update_shadow({'btn_state': ON,})

If I run this line of code, the reported shadow state of button_state succesfully changes to “ON”, but immediately after this the shadow_callback function is fired. And because the desired state in the shadow was set to OFF, the button state of my device imediately changes to OFF again.

For now my workaround is to first delete the shadow so that the “desired” part doesn’t exist anymore, then update the shadow after this.For now it’s ok.

Hi @Marcel,

unfortunately this behaviour sounds new to me, we will check as soon as possible.
Cheers