frame

Particle Photon Support

aaronsachs Member
edited April 14 in Devices and MCUs
Hi Viper Team, 

The Kickstarter campaign for Viper mentions the Particle Photon--I've got 2, and am curious when they're going to be supported, as they're not registering as valid boards in the IDE.
Tagged:

Comments

• I have the same problem. I have the PhotonH and when I run the IDE on my Mac and plug in the board, it says "Board List Updated" but the board does not show up in the "Choose a Board..." pulldown.
  • aaronsachs Member
    edited July 2015
    @mischko ;
        Yeah, that's what sold me on backing the project. I've got a Core that I've been playing with, and from what I can see, Viper's pretty badass! I just want to be able to use the Photons as well.
  • Hi all, we will release an update in few days that will include full compatibility with the Particle Photon. The VIPER team received the hardware almost same time as you guys, so we needed few days for testing it :)  

Here's an anticipation ;)  

Co-founder and CEO at Zerynth
  • @GabrieleM ;
    WOOT WOOT! Can't wait to see it in action!!!! 
  • MDizzy Member
    In the meanwhile should I be able to use my Arduino with the TOI shield? Also, is there any plans in the works to support the ESP8266? 
  • floydfloyd Member
    Sure,
    The TOI Shield can be used with all Particle and Arduino layouts compatible boards.
    We currently support Particle Core, Arduino DUE and ST Nucleo F401.

For the ESP8266, if you mean using it as TTL "Serial to Wireless Internet" device the answer is: YES you can.
    You need just to connect it to one of the serial port available on your board and talking with it using the viper serial library. You should properly configure the serial port in order to fit the modules requirements. 
    info here http://doc.viperize.it/0.2.0.0006/stdlib_streams.html
    There are various references pages online where you can find the AT commands to be sent via serial for driving the device. Here an example of use of the ESP8266 through a PC serial port using Python, the reported commands should be easily ported into a Viper script.

While, if you mean porting viper on the ESP8266 making it able to run the Viper VM; this is a bit more complicated task  :smile: 
    Looking at the technical specification of the module i think this can be done but at the moment I can't tell you if and when this porting will be done.
    However, if you or someone else on the Viper community would try to do this we will be more than happy to support you!

D.

Daniele Mazzei
    Zerynth Chief System Architect
  • GiacomoGiacomo Member
    edited July 2015
    And here it is another teaser!  :# B)

0007 coming soon... (for the embedded nerd inside you: that random is implemented in hardware...)
    Giacomo Baldi
    Zerynth Head of Software Development
  • So, I have a bit of a n00b question. 
    If we Viperize the photon, we lose all the particle cloud stuff right? 

I had a look through the docs for Viper and I didn't see anything about wifi, so I assume wifi will be coming at a later point? 

It would be amazing if the Spark class could be implemented in Viper, as it is the main thing that makes the particle boards so useful. 

Does that make sense, or have I got the wrong end of the stick here? 
  • GiacomoGiacomo Member
    edited July 2015
    SnakeJayd said:
    If we Viperize the photon, we lose all the particle cloud stuff right? 

I had a look through the docs for Viper and I didn't see anything about wifi, so I assume wifi will be coming at a later point? 

It would be amazing if the Spark class could be implemented in Viper, as it is the main thing that makes the particle boards so useful. 

Does that make sense, or have I got the wrong end of the stick here? 
    The viperization of the Photon leaves untouched the bootloader and the first 64k of flash where the Particle firmware stores the information about your wireless connections, cloud keys, etc... So when you viperize a Photon you don't lose the link between your Photon and the Particle cloud. If you want to restore a Photon to its before-viperization state, you can put it in DFU mode, click the viperize button and choose "restore original firmware". After that, the Photon should work as before. However, since the Particle team is actively working on the firmware and releasing new updates, you may need a factory reset to sync with Particle latest published firmware (you just need to setup the Photon again with the Particle app to set wifi credentials).

As for the Particle Cloud library, it would be surely awesome, however at the moment we have first to add wifi support (next update I believe) and add support for low level features like spi, i2c, dac and the likes.

Giacomo Baldi
    Zerynth Head of Software Development
  • Awesome.
    That makes sense.

I really like the particle cloud stuff, so I will hold off on viperizing my photon for now, but I might have to get the Arduino DUE so I can try it out in the mean time.

Thanks again.