frame

Help to install on linux

Walter Member
Hello,
my name is Walter and I live in Belluno, Italy.

I'm newbie in Viper and linux, I downloaded the package for Linux 64 but I do not know how to install. Is there a tutorial? or someone tells me how can I do?
Thank you!

Comments

• Hello Walter,

The package is a tar.xz archive. You should be able to open and extract it with most of the Linux distributions without installing any new program. If you tell us what's your Linux distro, I can point you to more detailed instructions.

Once extracted, you can double click on the viper.sh script to run the Viper IDE. 

Giacomo Baldi
    Zerynth Head of Software Development
  • Thank you!
    My distro is ubuntu 15.10.
    I extracted the files tar.xz and I created the folder Viper.
    I found the file viper.sh.
    With double click I open gedit text editor, I can not start the IDE.
    Thank you very much, it is the first time I use linux because viper 32bit for windows is not available.
  • ooops, Ubuntu is configured not to run shell scripts as a default action.
    Follow the instructions here to override such behaviour.

I guess I will add a .desktop file in the next update to avoid this issue.

Giacomo Baldi
  • ok, thank's!
    I begin now to use Linux, if you believe that another distro is best for viper, I can install the distro that you indicate me without problems

• Don't worry, Ubuntu is ok :)

The next step is to let Ubuntu recognize your boards. Linux distributions have a program called "udev" that is in charge of recognizing hardware events and do something after them, like for example installing/uninstalling your pen drive when it is plugged/unplugged. 

The same must be done for your boards. The procedure is easy:
    • Open a terminal
    • Open a new udev rule file by typing in the terminal: sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/99-viper.rules
    • Type the rules in gedit (see below)
    • Save and close gedit
    • tell udev to reload the rules by typing in the terminal: sudo udevadm control --reload-rules
    Every command with "sudo" will ask for root password.

And here are the Viper rules for all the boards:

#ST Nucleo
    SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0483", ATTRS{idProduct}=="3748", MODE="0666", GROUP="users"
    SUBSYSTEMS=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0483", ATTRS{idProduct}=="3748", MODE="0666", GROUP="users"
    #Particle Core
    SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1d50", ATTRS{idProduct}=="607f", MODE="0666", GROUP="users", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
    SUBSYSTEMS=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1d50", ATTRS{idProduct}=="607f", MODE="0666", GROUP="users", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
    SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1d50", ATTRS{idProduct}=="607d", MODE="0666", GROUP="users", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
    SUBSYSTEMS=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1d50", ATTRS{idProduct}=="607d", MODE="0666", GROUP="users", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
    #Particle Photon
    SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2b04", ATTRS{idProduct}=="d006", MODE="0666", GROUP="users", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
    SUBSYSTEMS=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2b04", ATTRS{idProduct}=="d006", MODE="0666", GROUP="users", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
    SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2b04", ATTRS{idProduct}=="c006", MODE="0666", GROUP="users", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
    SUBSYSTEMS=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="2b04", ATTRS{idProduct}=="c006", MODE="0666", GROUP="users", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"

Udoo and Arduino Due are recognized automatically because they use an ftdi chip.
    Giacomo Baldi
  • hi,
    I did as you told me,
    1) when you tell udev to reload the rules, will not ask for root password. Is ok?

2) if I double click viper.sh, start a browser windows Viper IDE and tells me:
    "The SERVER is not responding !! Please restart the IDE"

3) when I plug stnucleo opens a windows NODE F401RE

I tried to download a second time the ide, but nothing has changed,

thank's a lot!
  • mmm...

1) ok

2) very bad: I'll check on an ubuntu installation and let you know

3) ok, it should be the ubuntu automount

Giacomo Baldi
  • Walter Member
    edited December 2015
    OK thanks!
    these days I have tried many times:
    when you double click on viper.sh, the browser (firefox) opens and tries to connect to "http://127.0.0.1:5566/ide/index.html" and tells me:
    "The SERVER is not responding !! Please restart the IDE"
  • Here I am @Walter...with bad and good news.

I tested Viper on a fresh ubuntu install (in a virtual machine) and was able to reproduce your problem. 
    Here is the so@Walter ;
    • open a terminal
    • type: "sudo apt-get install git" 
    • once finished type: "sudo apt-get install gcc-multilib"
    • once finished change your current directory to the Viper directory (the one with viper.sh inside). In my case it was in Desktop/Viper so I typed: "cd ~/Desktop/Viper"
    • change directory to the Viper git directory: "cd sys/linux64/git"
    • remove git: "rm git"
    • substitute with installed one: "ln -s /usr/bin/git git"
    • start viper
    The problem is twofold: the git executable shipped with Viper needs some libraries not present in Ubuntu by default; also, the gcc compiler for arm microcontroller is 32bit only, therefore gcc-multilib is needed.

Let me know!
    Giacomo Baldi
  • Hi!
    bad news,
    I followed your precise information for 2 times, no errors found,
    but viper always tells me "The SERVER is not responding."
    My installation is new and updated, I installed only viper waiting viper 32bit for windows ....
    Maybe Ubuntu is not my  distro ... any suggestions for another distro more compatible with viper?
    thanks and sorry

• no one can tell me which distro runs smoothly with viper?
  • Hello @Walter,

please, try to download again the linux installer, I should have fixed the problems in Ubuntu.

Let me know!
    Giacomo Baldi
  • ok it works! thank you!
    to launch it, I open the terminal and I type "./viper.sh"
    (the procedure which you said does not work .. the git directory no longer exists in the new release)
    The ide start, but when I try to viperize, tells me:
    "Error while viperizing viperizing Error: error: [Errno 28] No space left on device"
    Thanks again!
  • Nice!

For the viperization error, are you using a ST Nucleo f401?
    Giacomo Baldi
  • Yes!
    F401RE,
    ide recognizes it as Physical Board

• mmm...that Nucleo message stinks of old firmware.

Can you try to update the Nucleo firmware as described here?
    You could do it easily from windows.

Let me know!
    Giacomo Baldi
  • Hello,
    I upgraded the firmware today, unfortunately, the error message is still the same ...
  • Mmm.. I can't reproduce the issue on my ubuntu virtual machine...

however, try this to viperize manually:
    • plug the st nucleo and select it as current board
    • click on the viperize button
    • in the dialog that opens, click the orange button "Get Binary"
    • depending on your browser two things can happen: a file with a strange name is downloaded or a page with strange symbols is opened.
    • In the first case, rename the downloaded file to "nucleo.bin"
    • In the second case, right click on the page and choose "Save Page As", save the file somewhere naming it "nucleo.bin"
    • copy nucleo.bin to the nucleo volume appearing on the "Files" windows (see screenshot below)
    • The nucleo LD1 led should blink red and green for a couple of seconds, then the LD2 will blink just green for two seconds. That's the sign of correct viperization.

Giacomo Baldi
  • bad news,
    when I try to copy the file nucleo.bin, he tells me that the device has no space.
    I've updated all the drivers with Vista, when I try to copy nucleo.bin tells me the same error.
    I try the manufacturer's website to find a solution.
    Anyway ... Merry Christmas to all the community and thanks again!
    Walter
  • Hello,
    Happy new year!,

I've updated all the drivers with Windows7 64 bit (no my pc) and finally i viperized the board
    I tried uploading "hello world" but tells me:
    Can not open board @
    [UPLOAD]: ooops, uploading failed with the following error: Can not open serial!

I tried all usb available but without success ...

• Hi!
    using an evaluation license of Windows 7, I tested viper on my pc.
    All works (viperize and upload sketches)!

Unfortunately I do not have a permanent license for seven, and I have to go on linux.
    With ubuntu I could not make it work, I tried with mageia 5 but does not work with files .sh

Someone please tell me which distro definitely works with Viper?

Thank you
  • Hello Walter,

If you have viperized the Nucleo in windows 7 you should have no problem using it in Ubuntu.
    I use Arch Linux for development and testing and everything works... but the installation and maintenance are not as user friendly as Ubuntu...
    Giacomo Baldi
  • Hello Giacomo,

with Ubuntu or other distros on my pc viper is not working.
    I found, perhaps, a PC of my friend with windows 7.
    I will use the PC for my tests.

Thanks again

• Easiest way to install is to uncompressed the downloaded package into a directory, say /home/rob/Temp/, then move it to the /opt directory.

sudo mv Viper/ /opt

Inside the /opt/Viper directory you can execute the viper.sh script by:

./viper.sh

Later you can add a desktop launcher once you have tested it.
  • hi borris!

thanks!

in this period i'm not at home and i can't try that you have suggested.
    When i return, i try

thanks again

• hi borris!
    i try with your system and it works!
    it's very simple, thanks.
    unfortunately the result does not change.
    I can not  upload a code on a stnucleo viperized with windows7.

Thank's  again

• I have ubuntu 16.04, I have downloaded zerynth.tar.xz and extracted its components. However, I did not find viper.sh, and I dont know how to use zerynth, any help ?
  • Hi minamaged113,

Here a link of our documentation where you can find a step-by-step tutorial of the installation sequence.
    In other sections of the documentation you can learn all you want to know about Zerynth ;)

Hope this can help you.
    Matteo Cipriani
    Zerynth Support Team